What is a SMSF?
A self managed superannuation fund is a do-it-yourself superannuation fund of 1-4 members where each member acts as a trustee of the fund. So all members must be the trustees, and all trustees must be the members. It is possible to have a 'single member fund' that requires two individual trustees or a corporate trustee.
One of the primary reasons why self-managed superannuation funds have grown in popularity in recent years is the fact the members have greater control over the range of investments, the ongoing management fees and ultimately their tax payable.
Some advantages of having a SMSF are:
- More control over your investments
- Greater investment flexibility
- Generally lower fees than industry and retail funds
- Potentially better performance than industry and retail funds
Having a SMSF lets you take full advantage of tax and superannuation law changes as soon as they come into effect. They also provide families with a vehicle to pool their resources and grow their wealth together. You can effectively transfer wealth between generations and these estate planning benefits may not be available through conventional superannuation products.
How We Can Help You …
The establishment and ongoing maintenance of your SMSF can be both complex and time consuming. We offer you a range of tailored accounting, administration and compliance solutions including:
- Administration Services – We can assist you with the administration of your SMSF including all the paperwork. In addition, you have access to our technical team who are responsible for compliance with all the current superannuation legislation.
- Ongoing Investment Advice - You have access to a professional advisor who will assist you to grow and monitor the investment portfolio. While you have complete control over your portfolio, your advisor will provide pro-active advice regarding financial strategies, estate planning, wealth protection and property investment.
- Access Current Information - We closely monitor changes to SMSF landscape and the regulations so you have access to current information at all times so you can make informed investment and tax planning decisions.
- Where necessary, we can also provide a 'repair' service to bring your current fund up to date and satisfy compliance requirements.
- Wind up your SMSF where required